Overall Course Structure
Our Upper Intermediate Conversational Chinese course is for students that have a strong foundation in Mandarin Chinese and are looking to learn highly advanced Chinese grammar, vocabulary and phrases, as well as have highly complex conversations with native Chinese speakers on a variety of both abstract and real topics! If you have already finished our Intermediate Conversational Chinese course, then your next step within the conversational Chinese track is the Upper Intermediate course. The Upper Intermediate course consists of 6 levels, with a total of 231 lessons across 60 units, and can be finished in as little as 8 months! In each level, you’ll expand greatly on the ‘foundational’ language you’ve learned in Beginner and Intermediate, and master much more advanced language which will enable you to express yourself much more freely on an array of highly complex topics. After taking this course, you’ll be able to:
- Follow "real speed" spoken conversations
- Understand colloquial mannerisms
- Express complex ideas and emotions
- Navigate all aspects of daily life
- Form meaningful relationships using Mandarin
… and more! The Upper Intermediate course consists of breaking down more complex conversations with native speakers (with more of a ‘conversational’ style than an ‘interview’ style like in the first two conversational courses), so you can master the much more advanced vocabulary, phrases, and grammar used. What’s more, with the course focusing on real Chinese conversations between natives, your listening skills will continue to improve as you make your way through the course. At the end of each unit, you’ll also be able to listen to the dialogue in full for that unit, to see how much you can understand after the breakdown in the preceding lesson videos! By the end of this course, you will have a strong foundation in highly complex conversations in Chinese, and will be able to speak with native speakers freely on a variety of high level topics and in all sorts of situations with ease! In addition, after completing the course, you should be around an HSK Level 4-5.
Learning Materials Included in the Course
The Upper Intermediate Conversational Chinese course includes a variety of study tools, including:
- Lesson Videos teaching key language concepts
- Lecture Notes PDFs for every lesson detailing the lesson content
- Audio Review MP3s in line with the Lecture Notes, to quiz yourself, practice speaking, and improve your listening skills as well
- Interactive Language Flashcards with normal and slow speed audio, to master what was covered in the lesson
- Interactive Dialogue Replay Flashcards with normal and slow speed audio, to master the sentences covered and further train your ear to the audio from native speakers
- Interactive 10-Question Quizzes with diverse question types, to thoroughly test your retention of what was covered in each lesson
- Study Schedule PDF to give you more structure when self-studying
Lesson-based tools resources be found on the individual lesson pages, and any downloadable resources can be found on our Download Center.
Wondering what the lessons are like? Get started with the first lesson here.
As always, if you have any additional questions about the course, feel free to message us using the chat widget and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have!